Cider Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1. In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large saucepan, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the cider, water, vinegar and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- 2. Add the carrots, celery, potato and onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 381 calories, 15 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 70 mg cholesterol, 671 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 25 g protein.
Light-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a light-bodied red wine such as Pinot Noir.