Cider Beef Stew Recipe
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1 pound beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 2 tablespoons canola oil
- 1 cup apple cider
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 2 large carrots, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1 large potato, peeled and cubed
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- In a large resealable plastic bag, combine flour, salt and pepper. Add beef, a few pieces at a time, and shake to coat. In a large saucepan, brown beef in oil; drain. Stir in the cider, water, vinegar and thyme; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 1 hour and 45 minutes or until the meat is tender.
- Add the carrots, celery, potato and onion; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 45 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Cider Beef Stew
Sort By :
This stew is delicious! My dad doesn't care for a sweet taste with his meat but he has no trouble eating this stew. It is delicious as written but I like to replace the peeled, cubed potato with a half pound of tiny potatoes. I was out of onions but had a bag of pearl onions in the freezer and added them at the end. I added a a touch of french onion soup base since the onions would not have a chance the flavor the stew. I also increased the liquid ingredient by half because we like plenty of gravy. Definitely a recipe for the "Keep Book".
LOVE to make this delicious beef stew on a cold winter's day! I increase the ingredients so we have leftovers the next night. Also, when adding the cider, I loosen the browned bits of beef on the bottom of the pot. As the liquid mixture boils, it enhances that flavor of beefy goodness to the stew!
I've made this recipe with apple juice and apple cider. Both are great, but the apple cider adds a little edge that makes it my favorite. I love to share this dish with friends.
This stew was really good. I used sparkling cider that I had leftover from the holidays, added a can of cream of mushroom with roasted garlic, and a half of green pepper. Also, I browned the meat according to the directions, but finished the rest in the slow cooker on low for 6hrs.From now on this is the only beef stew recipe I will use. Yum
I made this in a slow cooker. I cooked it on low for 6- hours. It was great!! I used the slow cooker liner, so no clean up. Now my neighbor wants the recipe.