Chutney-Filled Acorn Squash Recipe
When our test kitchen cooks came across the tart cranberry chutney recipe shared by Arline Blanchard, from Stockton Springs, Maine, they promptly paired it with another autumn favorite—acorn squash. The resulting side dish is tangy and tasty, and eye-catching as well!
- 3 to 4 acorn squash (about 1 pound each)
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 cup fresh orange segments
- 1 cup chopped unpeeled apple
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/4 cup chopped walnuts
- 1 tablespoon white vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1. Cut squash in half; remove and discard seeds. Level bottoms. Place with hollow side down in an ungreased 13-in. x 9-in. baking pan. Add 1/4 in of water to pan. Cover and bake at 350° for 45 minutes. Meanwhile, in a large saucepan, combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10 minutes. Remove squash from oven; turn over and fill with chutney. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until squash is tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC