My family loves these sloppy joes. I would make them back when I worked in a school lunchroom and heard nothing but compliments.
- 7 pounds lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 1-1/2 cups chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups chopped celery
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons prepared mustard
- 6 cups tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup white vinegar
- 2 to 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1-1/2 cups (6 ounces) shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- Hamburger buns
- In a several large skillets, cook the beef, onion and celery until beef is no longer pink; drain. Add the brown sugar, tomato sauce, vinegar, garlic, salt and pepper. Stir in cheese; cook until cheese is melted. Serve on buns. Yield: 50 servings.
Originally published as Church Supper Sloppy Joes in Reminisce January/February 1992, p37
Reviews for Church Supper Sloppy Joes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Aug. 22, 2011
"I have made this recipe more than once. It's delicious and a large crowd pleaser."
Reviewed Aug. 24, 2009
"This sounds good but I can only use a serving for 4 at most. Seems a lot of trouble to figure out 4 servings instead of 50. Any solution???"