Church Supper Hot Dish Recipe
This recipe was in my mother's church cookbook, and now it's in my church cookbook! Apparently is was too good to miss a generation. I often make this dish to take along to potlucks...and it seems that if I don't, someone else will! It's hearty and so tasty! —Norma Turner, Haslett, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 40 min. Bake: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 cups sliced peeled potatoes
- 2 cups finely chopped celery
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrots
- 1/4 cup finely chopped green pepper
- 1/4 cup finely chopped onion
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 cup water
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of mushroom soup, undiluted
- 1 can (5 ounces) chow mein noodles, divided
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. Preheat oven to 350°. In a large skillet, cook beef over medium heat until no longer pink; drain and set aside.
- 2. In same skillet, saute potatoes, celery, carrots, green pepper and onion in butter 5 minutes. Add water; cover and simmer 10 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Stir in soup and cooked ground beef until blended.
- 3. Sprinkle half of the chow mein noodles into a greased shallow 2-qt. baking dish. Spoon meat mixture over noodles. Cover and bake 20 minutes. Top with cheese and remaining noodles. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 8 servings.
1 serving (1 each) equals 339 calories, 20 g fat (9 g saturated fat), 53 mg cholesterol, 537 mg sodium, 25 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 16 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC