Chunky Turkey Soup Recipe
- 1 leftover turkey carcass (from a 12- to 14-pound turkey)
- 4-1/2 quarts water
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 1 medium carrot, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1 celery rib, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 cups shredded cooked turkey
- 4 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 cups frozen corn
- 2 medium carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 cup uncooked orzo pasta
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 4 teaspoons chicken bouillon granules
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1. Place the turkey carcass in a stockpot; add the water, onion, carrot and celery. Slowly bring to a boil over low heat; cover and simmer for 1-1/2 hours.
- 2. Discard the carcass. Strain broth through a cheesecloth-lined colander. If using immediately, skim fat. Or cool, then refrigerate for 8 hours or overnight; remove fat from surface before using. (Broth may be refrigerated for up to 3 days or frozen for 4-6 months.)
- 3. Place the soup ingredients in a stockpot; add the broth. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until pasta and vegetables are tender. Yield: 12 servings (1-1/3 cups each).
1-1/3 cups equals 175 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 19 mg cholesterol, 595 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 12 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch, 1 lean meat.
Reviews for Chunky Turkey Soup
"Excellent! Didn't have "turkey carcass", decreased water to 3 quarts and added vegetables (both what was to be added to make the stock, and what was required for the soup). Added mushrooms and extra noodles. Very tasty!"
"Used bouillon cubes, more carrots and homemade noodles. Will throw out all other turkey and chicken soup recipes and use only this one from now on. Fantastac"
"I would increase the bouillon to 6 tsp, I used 3 c turkey, and more carrots than called for. It's got a lot of broth, needs more stuff to be "chunky." but it's excellent. I use low-sodium bouillon so that may be an issue also. Very tasty."