Chunky Tomato Salsa
Our college-age daughter, two of her friends and a nephew ate a quart of this salsa with chips in one sitting. They loved it so much that they each took a quart home with them. So be sure to make lots! —Carol Carpenter, Jansen, Nebraska
16 ServingsPrep: 45 min. Cook: 1-1/4 hours + chilling
- 3-1/2 cups peeled chopped tomatoes (about 4 large)
- 1 large green pepper, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded and chopped
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 1/4 cup white vinegar
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- Baked tortilla chip scoops
- In a large saucepan, combine the first nine ingredients. Stir in the
- tomato paste, vinegar and lemon juice. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat;
- simmer, uncovered, for 1 hour, stirring frequently. Cool to room
- temperature. Cover and refrigerate until chilled. Serve with chips.
- Yield: 4 cups.
Nutritional Facts: 1/4 cup (calculated without chips) equals 28 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 344 mg sodium, 6 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 1 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 1 vegetable.