- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender. While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque
Sort By :
Rave reviews from both wife and daughter. This is our favorite tomato soup recipe! Outstanding
Wicked wicked recipe. Tastes amazing. *note: I would add some garlic, adds good flavor. Also, I didn't have tomato paste but ketchup worked just fine! Thanks for this great, simple recipe. Its a keeper!
I tried this recipe last weekend after having some delicious tomato-basil bisque on vacation hoping I could come close to replicating it. This recipe was awesome and significantly exceeded my expectations! I can't wait to play with some additional flavors (i.e. a touch of crushed red pepper - addition of shrimp or crab as others have suggested). This recipe is most definitely a keeper!
My husband and I love this recipe. It is absolutely delicious!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bisque Soup Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >
- Tomato Basil Recipes >