Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque Recipe
"My husband, Patrick Maas, makes this wonderful, creamy bisque," writes Veronique Deblois of Mine Hill, New Jersey. "Sweet red pepper enhances the lovely tomato-basil flavor."
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender. While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
1 serving (1-1/3 cups) equals 383 calories, 36 g fat (22 g saturated fat), 122 mg cholesterol, 1,214 mg sodium, 15 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC