Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque Recipe
- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- 2. Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender. While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
1-1/3 cups: 383 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 122mg cholesterol, 1214mg sodium, 15g carbohydrate (10g sugars, 4g fiber), 3g protein.
Reviews for Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque
"delicious. I did like the celery but left out the onion, red pepper and basil."
"I have made tomato bisques before. This one topped the charts. Perfectly seasoned and well balanced in texture. 100 thumbs up to the recipe creator. The only thing I may have changed would be to add another half a cup if fresh basil. I will be enjoying this soup with homemade Croque Monsieurs!!!"
"This is a delicious recipe!! Tastes like the tomato basil bisque at one of my favorite restaurants."
"Rave reviews from both wife and daughter. This is our favorite tomato soup recipe! Outstanding"
"Wicked wicked recipe. Tastes amazing. *note: I would add some garlic, adds good flavor. Also, I didn't have tomato paste but ketchup worked just fine! Thanks for this great, simple recipe. Its a keeper!"
"I tried this recipe last weekend after having some delicious tomato-basil bisque on vacation hoping I could come close to replicating it. This recipe was awesome and significantly exceeded my expectations! I can't wait to play with some additional flavors (i.e. a touch of crushed red pepper - addition of shrimp or crab as others have suggested). This recipe is most definitely a keeper!"
"My husband and I love this recipe. It is absolutely delicious!"
"Very good. I used lactose free milk and home grown tomatoes. very good."
"Great recipe with a lot of flavor - I took advice of another and added a can of crab meat - it was amazing! Also reduced the fat by using half and half instead of the heavy cream."
"I have made this several times now following the directions exactly and it always come out perfect. Very easy, yet it tastes like the tomato soups that you get in nicer restaurants. Highly recommend."
"This has become my favorite Tomato soups! It is a perfect blend of flavors. It is the BEST!!!"
"I'm picky about my tomato soup, and loved this recipe! I've also made it with an added large can of crab meat to replicate a Tomato Basil Crab Bisque that I had at a restaurant. Fantastic!"