- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender. While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque
Sort By :
"The celery in this soup was a mistake. I reduced it to 4 stalks, but it was still overpowering. I recommend leaving it out entirely or trying another recipe. TOH's "Tomato Basil Soup Recipe" is great."
"I have made tomato bisques before. This one topped the charts. Perfectly seasoned and well balanced in texture. 100 thumbs up to the recipe creator. The only thing I may have changed would be to add another half a cup if fresh basil. I will be enjoying this soup with homemade Croque Monsieurs!!!"
"This is a delicious recipe!! Tastes like the tomato basil bisque at one of my favorite restaurants."
"Rave reviews from both wife and daughter. This is our favorite tomato soup recipe! Outstanding"