- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender. While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque
Sort By :
This is a delicious recipe!! Tastes like the tomato basil bisque at one of my favorite restaurants.
Rave reviews from both wife and daughter. This is our favorite tomato soup recipe! Outstanding
Wicked wicked recipe. Tastes amazing. *note: I would add some garlic, adds good flavor. Also, I didn't have tomato paste but ketchup worked just fine! Thanks for this great, simple recipe. Its a keeper!
I tried this recipe last weekend after having some delicious tomato-basil bisque on vacation hoping I could come close to replicating it. This recipe was awesome and significantly exceeded my expectations! I can't wait to play with some additional flavors (i.e. a touch of crushed red pepper - addition of shrimp or crab as others have suggested). This recipe is most definitely a keeper!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Bisque Soup Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Italian Recipes >
- Italian Soup >
- Italian Soups >
- Soup Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Soup Recipes >
- Tomato Basil Recipes >