- 6 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 3/4 cup loosely packed basil leaves, coarsely chopped
- 3 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- In a large saucepan, saute the celery, onion and red pepper in butter for 5-6 minutes or until tender. Add tomatoes and tomato paste. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 40 minutes.
- Remove from the heat. Stir in the basil, sugar, salt and pepper; cool slightly. Transfer half of the soup mixture to a blender. While processing, gradually add cream; process until pureed. Return to the pan; heat through (do not boil). Yield: 5 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Tomato-Basil Bisque
Sort By :
The celery in this soup was a mistake. I reduced it to 4 stalks, but it was still overpowering. I recommend leaving it out entirely or trying another recipe. TOH's "Tomato Basil Soup Recipe" is great.
I have made tomato bisques before. This one topped the charts. Perfectly seasoned and well balanced in texture. 100 thumbs up to the recipe creator. The only thing I may have changed would be to add another half a cup if fresh basil. I will be enjoying this soup with homemade Croque Monsieurs!!!
This is a delicious recipe!! Tastes like the tomato basil bisque at one of my favorite restaurants.
Rave reviews from both wife and daughter. This is our favorite tomato soup recipe! Outstanding