- 1-1/2 pounds lean beef chuck or top round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- In a large heavy saucepan, brown meat in oil. Stir in the next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender.
- Stir in beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking. If desired, serve in bread bowls by hollowing out rolls and spooning chili into center. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Chunky Chili in Taste of Home's Down-Home Diabetic Cookbook Annual 1995, p79
Reviews for Chunky Steak Chili
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Sort By :
Reviewed Jan. 12, 2009
Could I do this in a slow cooker? Would I have to cut back on some of the liquids?