Chunky Spaghetti Sauce
When your hungry clan requests, "Spaghetti, please!", you'll be happy to oblige with this simple savory sauce. It proves appetizingly that homemade spaghetti sauce doesn't have to simmer all day in order to be hearty and delicious.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound Johnsonville® Mild Ground Italian Sausage
- 1 to 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Hot cooked pasta
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan; drain. Add green peppers, onion
- and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato
- paste, oregano and basil; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 441 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 891 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: Medium-Bodied Red Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a medium-bodied red wine such as Chianti, Sangiovese, Malbec or