Chunky Spaghetti Sauce
When your hungry clan requests, "Spaghetti, please!", you'll be happy to oblige with this simple savory sauce. It proves appetizingly that homemade spaghetti sauce doesn't have to simmer all day in order to be hearty and delicious.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1 pound bulk Italian sausage
- 1 to 2 medium green peppers, julienned
- 1/2 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) Italian stewed tomatoes
- 1/4 cup tomato paste
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh oregano or 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1-1/2 teaspoons minced fresh basil or 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- Hot cooked pasta
- Brown sausage in a large saucepan; drain. Add green peppers, onion
- and garlic; cook until tender, about 5 minutes. Add tomatoes, tomato
- paste, oregano and basil; simmer, uncovered, for 10-15 minutes.
- Serve over pasta. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 441 calories, 16 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 45 mg cholesterol, 891 mg sodium, 55 g carbohydrate, 6 g fiber, 20 g protein.
Wine: This recipe pairs well with a medium red wine.: Taste of Home Special Offer: Enjoy this recipe with Santa Margherita Chianti Classico Reserva Italy 2009. Initial tastes of fruits and spice move to herbal notes for a long smooth finish.