Chunky Seafood Chowder Recipe
This creamy chowder brimming with tender potato and crab tastes so good guests will never guess it starts with canned soup. Half-and-half cream makes it rich enough for special occasions. I often serve it with crackers or French bread after a sporting event or outing. -Irene Craigue, Claremont, New Hampshire
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 pints half-and-half cream
- 1 can (10-3/4 ounces) condensed New England clam chowder, undiluted
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1 package (8 ounces) imitation crabmeat, flaked
- 1. In a saucepan, saute onion in butter until tender. Add cream and canned chowder; bring to a boil. Stir in potatoes, salt and pepper. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until the potatoes are tender. Stir in crab and heat through. Yield: 8 servings (about 2 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 293 calories, 16 g fat (10 g saturated fat), 73 mg cholesterol, 839 mg sodium, 24 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 9 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC