Chunky Sausage Lentil Soup Recipe
- 8 cups water
- 1 package (16 ounces) dried lentils, rinsed
- 1 package (19-1/2 ounces) Italian turkey sausage links, casings removed and crumbled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 6 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (28 ounces) crushed tomatoes
- 1 medium red potato, diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1-1/2 teaspoons coarsely ground pepper
- Salad croutons, optional
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring water and lentils to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 18-22 minutes or until lentils are tender. Drain.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a Dutch oven, cook the sausage, onions, celery and carrots over medium heat until meat is no longer pink and vegetables are tender; drain. Add garlic; cook 2 minutes longer.
Stir in the broth, tomatoes, potato, thyme and pepper. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until potato is tender. Stir in lentils; heat through. Serve with croutons if desired.
Freeze option: Reserving croutons for later, freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Top each serving with croutons if desired. Yield: 10 servings (3-1/2 quarts).
1-1/3 cups (calculated without croutons): 314 calories, 6g fat (1g saturated fat), 36mg cholesterol, 681mg sodium, 43g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 17g fiber), 24g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 3 lean meat, 2 vegetable.
Reviews for Chunky Sausage Lentil Soup
"I halved everything, and used leftover turkey chopped up. Still was awesome and easy."
"This was pretty good. My picky kids would not eat it, but DH and I liked it. It made a ton of soup. I'm going to try freezing some of it."
"This was so easy to put together and tasted great. I'll definitely make it again."