This fresh-tasting salsa is wonderfully chunky. If you like it hotter, add more habanero peppers; if you prefer a mild salsa, add fewer. —Dana Hayes, Canton, Ohio
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- 5 cups chopped onions (about 3 large)
- 5 cups chopped green peppers (about 4 large)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 2 large)
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons salt
- Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Score an “X” on the bottom of each tomato. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove tomatoes and immediately plunge in ice water. Discard peel; chop tomatoes.
- In a stockpot, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness.
- Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 pints.
Originally published as Chunky Salsa in Healthy Cooking August/September 2011, p58
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Chunky Salsa
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review