Chunky Salsa Recipe
- 5 pounds tomatoes
- 5 cups chopped onions (about 3 large)
- 5 cups chopped green peppers (about 4 large)
- 2-1/2 cups chopped sweet red peppers (about 2 large)
- 2 habanero peppers, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 can (6 ounces) tomato paste
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 1. Fill a Dutch oven two-thirds with water; bring to a boil. Score an “X” on the bottom of each tomato. Using a slotted spoon, place tomatoes, one at a time, in boiling water for 30-60 seconds. Remove tomatoes and immediately plunge in ice water. Discard peel; chop tomatoes.
- 2. In a stockpot, combine the remaining ingredients. Stir in tomatoes. Bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 15-20 minutes or until desired thickness.
- 3. Carefully ladle hot mixture into hot 1-pint jars, leaving 1/2-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles; wipe rims and adjust lids. Process for 15 minutes in a boiling-water canner. Yield: 7 pints.
1/4 cup: 18 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0mg cholesterol, 131mg sodium, 4g carbohydrate (2g sugars, 1g fiber), 1g protein
Reviews for Chunky Salsa
"First time making salsa, little scared but this was so easy and my family love's it. They said it was a keeper!"
"I did add a half cup cilantro and another hot pepper."
"This was vantastic! I did add a half cup chopped cilanto and another hot pepper."
"spicy and really tasty"
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.