Our backyard was filled with rhubarb when I was growing up in Illinois, and my mom would always add some to her applesauce. We liked ours tart, but you can adjust the sugar to your taste and depending on the tartness of your apples. This applesauce isn't my only memory of rhubarb...I still remember us kids eating it raw - after we sprinkled it liberally with salt!
- 1 pound rhubarb, trimmed and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 2 pounds tart apples, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch chunks
- 1/2 to 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place rhubarb, apples and sugar to taste in a large saucepan. Cover and simmer until fruit is tender, about 40 minutes.
- Stir in cinnamon and nutmeg. Serve warm or cold. Yield: 4 cups.
Originally published as Chunky Rhubarb Applesauce in Country Extra May 1993, p51
Reviews for Chunky Rhubarb Applesauce
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review