Chunky Potato Soup Recipe
To stretch our meat supply during the Depression, Mom made all kinds of soups and stews. I loved her recipe for potato soup, especially when the potatoes were new and the parsley was fresh from the garden. Mom served this soup often because is was meatless, but I never tired of it!
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 45 min. YIELD:12 servings
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 1. In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes. Add potatoes, water, celery leaves, salt, pepper, paprika and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally. In a small skillet, combine oil and flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is golden brown (watch closely to prevent burning). Carefully stir into hot soup. Add parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soup thickens. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
1 serving (1 cup) equals 119 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 3 mg cholesterol, 694 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 2 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC