- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 6 medium potatoes, peeled and cut into 3/4-inch cubes
- 2-1/2 quarts water
- 1/2 cup chopped celery leaves
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 can (8 ounces) tomato sauce
- 3 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 to 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- In a Dutch oven or large kettle, saute onion in butter for 3 minutes. Add potatoes, water, celery leaves, salt, pepper, paprika and tomato sauce; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until potatoes are just tender, stirring occasionally. In a small skillet, combine oil and flour until smooth. Cook over medium heat, stirring constantly, until mixture is golden brown (watch closely to prevent burning). Carefully stir into hot soup. Add parsley. Cook, stirring occasionally, for 5 minutes or until soup thickens. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Chunky Potato Soup
"This soup was not good! It was bland and watery; I added 2 chicken bouillon cubes to the broth and 1-2 cups diced ham. It was disappointing. I even added a can of canellini beans to see if that helped--it didn't. I love Taste of Home and find it's recipes excellent as a general rule. This is the first negative review I've ever written on a TOH recipe, but I must be honest in my assessment. I won't make this soup again."
"I used Pam instead of butter to saute the onions. Cut the salt down to 1 teaspoon and paprika to 1/2 teaspoon. Still a little spicy and maybe too spicy yet for some. I used about 3/4 c. of flour mixed with part of the water to thicken. This cut out the fat, cholesterol and lowered the sodium. Very tasty & much better for heart patients. We love this recipe."