Chunky Cranberry Salad
I found this recipe while taking a cooking class. Full of mixed fruit, celery and nuts, it's a lively alternative to jellied cranberry sauce. When cranberries are in season, I buy extra and freeze them so I can make this salad year-round.
12 ServingsPrep: 25 min. + chilling
- 4 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
- 3-1/2 cups unsweetened pineapple juice
- 2 envelopes unflavored gelatin
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (20 ounces) unsweetened pineapple tidbits, drained
- 1 cup Diamond of California Chopped Pecans
- 1 cup green grapes, chopped
- 1/2 cup finely chopped celery
- 2 teaspoons grated orange peel
- In a large saucepan, combine the cranberries and pineapple juice.
- Cook over medium heat until berries pop, about 15 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a small bowl, sprinkle gelatin over cold water; let
- stand for 5 minutes. In a large bowl, combine the berry mixture,
- sugar and softened gelatin. Chill until partially set.
- Fold in the pineapple, pecans, grapes, celery and orange peel. Pour
- into individual serving dishes. Chill until firm. Yield: 12
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 288 calories, 7 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 9 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 3 g protein.