Chunky Chili Recipe
- 1-1/2 pounds lean beef chuck roast or top round steak, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 2 cans (14-1/2 ounces each) no-salt-added diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 to 3 tablespoons chili powder
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (15 to 16 ounces) kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- Crusty round French rolls, optional
- 1. In a large heavy saucepan, brown meat in oil. Stir in the next seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 2-1/2 to 3 hours or until meat is tender. Stir in beans during the last 30 minutes of cooking.
- 2. If desired, serve in bread bowls by hollowing out rolls and spooning chili into center. Yield: 6 servings.
1 cup: 361 calories, 17g fat (0g saturated fat), 66mg cholesterol, 663mg sodium, 27g carbohydrate (0g sugars, 0g fiber), 27g protein Diabetic Exchanges: 1 starch, 3 lean meat, 1 vegetable.