Chunky Cherry & Peach Preserves Recipe
Out of all the jams I make, this is my grandmother’s favorite. She anxiously waits for June to come because she knows I’ll always bring home lots of peaches and cherries so I can put up as many batches as I can while the fruit is at its peak. —Amy Seiger, Red oak, Texas
- 4 cups chopped peeled fresh peaches (about 7 medium)
- 4 cups chopped pitted fresh tart cherries (about 2 pounds)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 package (1-3/4 ounces) pectin for lower sugar recipes
- 3 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine peaches, cherries and lemon juice; stir in pectin. Bring to a full rolling boil over high heat, stirring constantly. Stir in sugar; return to a full rolling boil. Boil and stir 1 minute. Stir in extract.
- Remove from heat; skim off foam. Ladle hot mixture into seven hot half-pint jars, leaving 1/4-in. headspace. Remove air bubbles and adjust headspace, if necessary, by adding hot mixture. Wipe rims. Center lids on jars; screw on bands until fingertip tight.
- Place jars into canner with simmering water, ensuring that they are completely covered with water. Bring to a boil; process for 10 minutes. Remove jars and cool. Yield: 7 half-pints.
Originally published as Chunky Cherry & Peach Preserves in Canning & Preserving 2014 Bookazine 2014, p16
Reviews for Chunky Cherry & Peach Preserves
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review