Although winters in Virginia are not necessarily harsh, it still gets cold enough to chill you to the bones. This tasty soup warms you through and through.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add ham.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Chunky Cheese Soup in Country February/March 1999, p49
Reviews for Chunky Cheese Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review