Chunky Cheese Soup Recipe
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add ham.
- 2. In another saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 cup: 267 calories, 17g fat (11g saturated fat), 63mg cholesterol, 936mg sodium, 16g carbohydrate (4g sugars, 1g fiber), 13g protein .
Reviews for Chunky Cheese Soup
"This soup was great! I omitted the salt and cooked the vegetables in seasoned chicken broth. I also increased the amount of broth by maybe 1/2 cup and increased the vegetables because I like my soups chock full of goodies. I also used sharp cheddar for the cheese, and was pleased to find that the soup had a smooth texture, not a grainy one."
"Great fall recipe. Definately a keeper. The only thing I changed was using Velveeta."
"I also enjoyed this recipe. I made in a crock pot, and used an immersion blender to disguise the veggies for my veggie haters. They LOVED it!"
"Instead of celery, I used red and green pepper."
"wow this was very tasteful. I used monteray jack cheese and it was good"
"used chicken broth instead of water. very good"
"This was the most yummy soup ever. So creamy!"
"Very thick and filling. Easy and fast to make. I used 1% milk and reduced fat cheddar. Great on a cold winter night!"
"This is one of the thickest soups I've ever made. It was a perfect comfort food and very filling. If you have more than a few people to feed you may want to double this recipe."
"Agreed. This is absolutely great. My 7-year-old says this is his favorite."
"Great recipe and so easy to make if you use a food processor. I used low sodium chicken broth for the water, 1/2 teaspoon salt, reduced fat cheddar, and a little more celery and carrots than called for."