Chunky Cheese Soup
Although winters in Virginia are not necessarily harsh, it still gets cold enough to chill you to the bones. This tasty soup warms you through and through.
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Add ham.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup.
- Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 cup) equals 267 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 936 mg sodium,