Chunky Cheese Soup Recipe
Although winters in Virginia are not necessarily harsh, it still gets cold enough to chill you to the bones. This tasty soup warms you through and through.
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:6-8 servings
- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add ham.
- 2. In another saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 267 calories, 17 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 63 mg cholesterol, 936 mg sodium, 16 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC