- 2 cups water
- 2 cups diced peeled potatoes
- 1/2 cup diced carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup cubed fully cooked ham
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 2 cups (8 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- In a large saucepan, combine the first seven ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender. Add ham.
- In another saucepan, melt the butter; stir in flour until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese until melted; add to the soup. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Cheese Soup
"This soup was great! I omitted the salt and cooked the vegetables in seasoned chicken broth. I also increased the amount of broth by maybe 1/2 cup and increased the vegetables because I like my soups chock full of goodies. I also used sharp cheddar for the cheese, and was pleased to find that the soup had a smooth texture, not a grainy one."
"Great fall recipe. Definately a keeper. The only thing I changed was using Velveeta."
"I also enjoyed this recipe. I made in a crock pot, and used an immersion blender to disguise the veggies for my veggie haters. They LOVED it!"
"Instead of celery, I used red and green pepper."
"wow this was very tasteful. I used monteray jack cheese and it was good"