Nothing cures the winter blahs like good comfort food, including this beefy soup I invented one chilly day. Serve with crusty bread or rolls. —Billy Hensley, Mount Carmel, Tennessee
- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon each salt, seasoning blend and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add carrots, onion and peppers; cook and stir until carrots are crisp-tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and remaining seasonings. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until beef and potatoes are tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Chunky Beef & Vegetable Soup in Simple & Delicious December/January 2014
Reviews for Chunky Beef & Vegetable Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review