- 1-1/2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 teaspoon salt-free seasoning blend, divided
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper, divided
- 2 tablespoons olive oil, divided
- 4 large carrots, sliced
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 medium sweet red pepper, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup Burgundy wine or additional reduced-sodium beef broth
- 4 cups reduced-sodium beef broth
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 medium potatoes (about 2 pounds), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- Sprinkle beef with 1/2 teaspoon each salt, seasoning blend and pepper. In a Dutch oven, heat 1 tablespoon oil over medium heat. Brown beef in batches. Remove from pan.
- In same pan, heat remaining oil over medium heat. Add carrots; cook and stir until crisp-tender. Add onion and peppers; cook and stir until vegetables are tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add wine, stirring to loosen browned bits from pan. Stir in broth, tomatoes, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, bay leaf and remaining seasonings. Return beef to pan; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, 2 hours.
- Add potatoes; cook 30-40 minutes longer or until beef and potatoes are tender. Skim fat and discard bay leaf. Yield: 8 servings (3 quarts).
Reviews for Chunky Beef & Vegetable Soup
Sort By :
Love the soup the whole house smelled wonderful. I don't like green peppers so change to yellow pepper .
Always looking for a new recipe for soups or stews, and found this one.. yahoo! It is wonderful, an will make this often. I added a handful of quick cooking barley at the end of the cooking time to thicken the soup into more of a stew, and this made it even better. Oh, I used the Burgundy, not the broth.