We get plenty of cold winter days here in the Midwest. Nothing warms us up like this chunky oven-baked stew.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, wine or broth, tapioca, sugar, seasoned salt, browning sauce if desired, marjoram and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add the meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and bread crumbs. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 1-1/4 hours.
- Uncover; stir in peas. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Baked Beef Stew in Casserole Cookbook 2001, p47
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chunky Baked Beef Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review