- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) diced tomatoes, undrained
- 3/4 cup water
- 1/4 cup red wine or beef broth
- 3 tablespoons quick-cooking tapioca
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons seasoned salt
- 1 teaspoon browning sauce, optional
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 5 small red potatoes, quartered
- 4 medium carrots, cut into 1-inch chunks
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 3/4-inch chunks
- 1 medium onion, cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 1 cup frozen peas, thawed
- In a large bowl, combine the tomatoes, water, wine or broth, tapioca, sugar, seasoned salt, browning sauce if desired, marjoram and pepper. Let stand for 15 minutes.
- Add the meat, potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and bread crumbs. Pour into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Cover and bake at 375° for 1-1/4 hours.
- Uncover; stir in peas. Bake 15-20 minutes longer or until meat and vegetables are tender. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Full-Bodied Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied red wine such as Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot or Syrah.
Reviews for Chunky Baked Beef Stew
Sort By :
My husband thought this stew had a very good flavor. I used boneless chuck roast, so it needed to cook longer - about 2 hrs. Next time I'll increase the liquids and maybe add a jar of beef gravy, as it was a little dry with the extra cooking time. Will definitely make this recipe again.
This is so good! My family loved this recipe. Easy to make to, have made this several times already! Thank you
More Recipe Collections
- Baked Potatoes >
- Beef Casserole Recipes >
- Beef Casseroles >
- Beef Dinner Recipes >
- Beef Main Dishes >
- Beef Recipes >
- Beef Stews >
- Carrot Recipes >
- Casseroles >
- Comfort Food Dinner Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Stew Recipes >