In Phoenix, Arizona, Jamie Jeffers combines tomatoes, onion and jalapeno with cilantro and avocado for a chunky salsa that is great with crunchy tortilla chips. TIP: "Sometimes I use a few fresh green chilies instead of the jalapeno pepper, and scoop the mixture over a green salad for a healthy and zesty dressing," Jamie says.
- 3/4 pound plum tomatoes, cut into wedges
- 1 small onion, cut into wedges
- 1/4 cup lightly packed fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 jalapeno pepper, seeded
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 large ripe avocado, peeled and diced
- Tortilla chips
- In a food processor, combine the first six ingredients. Cover and pulse until coarsely chopped (do not overprocess); drain liquid. Transfer to a bowl; stir in avocado. Serve with chips. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: about 2-1/2 cups.
Originally published as Avocado Salsa in Quick Cooking July/August 2005, p15
Sweet Red Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet red wine.
Reviews for Chunky Avocado Salad
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Feb. 4, 2013
"Another great avocado recipe. Loved thetangy taste."
Reviewed Jun. 18, 2011
"We tried this both with and without the avocado. Both were good, but the avocado added a really nice flavor! Thanks!!"
Reviewed Jun. 13, 2011
"This is a family favorite"
Reviewed Jun. 6, 2009