This recipe was handed down from my great-grandmother. I've modified it a little, but it remains a treasure from the past. My family never tires of it at asparagus time.
- 2 pounds fresh asparagus, trimmed and chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1/2 to 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 jar (4 ounces) sliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos
- 4 cups vegetable broth or chicken broth
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1/2 pound process cheese (Velveeta), cubed
- In a large saucepan, saute the asparagus, onion and garlic in butter for 8-10 minutes or until tender. Add curry powder; simmer 5 more minutes. Add mushrooms and pimientos. Stir in broth and milk. Heat, but do not boil. Add cheese cubes and stir until melted. Yield: 8-10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Originally published as Chunky Asparagus Soup in Bountiful Harvest Cookbook 1994, p66
Reviews for Chunky Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review