- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- In a Dutch oven, combine apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Mash apples slightly if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
Reviews for Chunky Applesauce
Sort By :
"Best applesauce ever! I agree with the previous reviewer that the vanilla gives it an extra special flavor. My apples were sweet, so I added lemon juice and cut back on the sugar. Yum!"
"Delicious! Maybe a little strong vanilla taste, but definitely a keeper!"
"The vanilla adds a different flavor than normal. I also cut back to about 2/3 of the sugar listed. I will be making more. My apple tree is in full bloom so I need to use them up."
"This is my favorite go to recipe for homemade applesauce."
"I haven't purchased applesauce from the store in years. I'm confused with all the sugar added? That was one of the reasons I started making my own. I peel, core, quarter however many apples I need to make up my sauce, add a touch of water, cook till tender, then add cinnamon to taste. I've used Braburn apples for a very long time. Try it! You don't need all that sugar!"