Chunky Applesauce Recipe
There's just something extra special about homemade applesauce. This simple recipe is tart and not too sweet. It makes the perfect side dish, especially with pork chops or a pork roast. —Deborah Amrine, Grand Haven, Michigan
- 8 cups chopped peeled tart apples (about 3-1/2 pounds)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1. In a Dutch oven, combine apples, brown sugar and cinnamon. Cover and cook over medium-low heat 30-40 minutes or until apples are tender, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla. Mash apples slightly if desired. Serve warm or cold. Yield: about 3-1/2 cups.
1/2 cup equals 157 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 7 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, trace protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC