Chunky Apple-Cinnamon Cake Recipe
Here's a nice change from apple pie that’s tasty and worthy of a special get-together—plus, it’s very easy to make. Add a scoop of ice cream if you like. —Ellen Ruzinsky, Yorktown Heights, NY
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 25 min. Bake: 45 min. + cooling YIELD:15 servings
- 2-3/4 pounds McIntosh, Jonathan or Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced (11 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1. Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss apples with brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- 2. In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture.
- 3. Transfer half of the batter to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Top with apples. Spread remaining batter over apples. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake 10 minutes.
- 4. Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
1 piece equals 349 calories, 17 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 138 mg sodium, 47 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC