Here's a nice change from apple pie that’s tasty and worthy of a special get-together—plus, it’s very easy to make. Add a scoop of ice cream if you like. —Ellen Ruzinsky, Yorktown Heights, NY
- 2-3/4 pounds McIntosh, Jonathan or Granny Smith apples, peeled and thinly sliced (11 cups)
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 3 teaspoons ground cinnamon, divided
- 1 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
- 1 cup canola oil
- 4 large eggs
- 3 tablespoons orange juice
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 425°. In a large bowl, toss apples with brown sugar and 2 teaspoons cinnamon.
- In a large bowl, beat 1 cup sugar, oil, eggs, orange juice and vanilla until well blended. In another bowl, whisk flour, baking powder and salt; gradually beat into sugar mixture.
- Transfer half of the batter to an ungreased 13x9-in. baking pan. Top with apples. Spread remaining batter over apples. Mix remaining sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over top. Bake 10 minutes.
- Reduce oven setting to 375°. Bake 35-45 minutes or until golden brown and apples are tender. Cool on a wire rack. Yield: 15 servings.
Originally published as Chunky Apple-Cinnamon Cake in Taste of Home November 2013
Reviews for Chunky Apple-Cinnamon Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review