This tender, moist cake is full of old-fashioned comfort, and the yummy brown sugar sauce makes it special. For a festive occasion, top with a dollop of whipped cream. —Debi Benson, Bakersfield, California
- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Originally published as Chunky Apple Cake in Taste of Home August/September 2006, p27
Reviews for Chunky Apple Cake
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review