- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Apple Cake
Sort By :
"Great for fall"
"A great apple cake that is nice and juicy! The Butterscotch sauce adds a delectable flavor to this wonderful fall cake! Don't worry if the batter looks quite thick - the juice from the apples helps it cook perfectly!"
"Best apple cake ever! I remember when this won the apple contest."
"This was excellent. I tried stirring the apples in for a few seconds and then just used my hands. I will definitely make this again."
"Delicious! I used close to 5 cups of chopped apples and it still seemed like a lot. I used a caramel whiskey sauce because I already had some made up and a dollop of home made whipping cream and oh was it good! I will make the butterscotch sauce the next time. And as another person said the cake stands on its own. I myself loved the texture of the flaky crunch on top of the cake. My husband loves anything baked with apples in it and this one was a big hit!"