- 1/2 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 6 cups chopped peeled tart apples
- BUTTERSCOTCH SAUCE:
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- In a large bowl, cream the butter, sugar and vanilla. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition. Combine the flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and baking soda; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well (batter will be stiff). Stir in apples until well combined.
- Spread into a greased 13-in. x 9-in. baking dish. Bake at 350° for 40-45 minutes or until top is lightly browned and springs back when lightly touched. Cool for 30 minutes before serving.
- Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, combine brown sugar and butter. Cook over medium heat until butter is melted. Gradually add cream. Bring to a slow boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Remove from the heat. Serve with cake. Yield: 12-14 servings.
Reviews for Chunky Apple Cake
"Really good. I had a dinner party and the person who was supposed to bring dessert couldn't make it. I didn't have everything the recipe called for. I used ingredients I had on hand to create this yummy cake. I only had 1 1/2 Braeburn apples left over from a fruit salad, so I used that and a cup of applesauce. I used 1 cup of white sugar and 1/2 cup of brown. I also only used a 1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg and 1/2 teaspoon of cloves. 2 teaspoons vanilla and 1/3 teaspoons baking power 1/2 teaspoon of baking soda. I baked these into cupcakes at 350 for 25 minutes. I didn't make the topping but just dusted the tops with powdered sugar. The batter was kind of like cookie dough. These were mouse and delicious. Everyone really enjoyed these and said I should make again."
"Absolutely the perfect dessert- easy to make and delicious to eat! A definite keeper!"
"Easy, the sauce was the best, will uses sauce for other receipts."
"I've made this recipe numerous times and always get raving reviews. Best apple cake recipe by far!"
"I love apple cake and have struggled to find one that I really like and would make again. This is it! It is also versatile. You can add a little less sugar, more or less of your spices, with or without a topping. It is really good with a scoop of ice cream! I found it was a decadent dessert with a praline sauce drizzled over it."
"I found the recipe way too sweet. I will definitely repeat it but I'll do 1 1/4 cup of sugar instead, everything else was great. That would be my best advice."
"This is a fantastic recipe! I must have looked at 20 - 25 recipes before choosing this one. I wanted a recipe that used a lot of apples and used butter instead of oil. The reviews of most of the recipes said they cut the amount of oil and still made a too moist or oily cake. This is a moist cake, but not too moist. The batter is stiff until you add the apples. It easily spread into the pan. I wanted to taste more apple, so cut the nutmeg in half. It was perfect. You can still taste the nutmeg, but it's not overpowering. I bought caramel sauce instead of making the butterscotch sauce. The cake is great even without any sauce. My husband said this recipe was definitely a keeper!"
"I have made this recipe numerous times over the years and it is a decadent family favorite. Making again today!!"