Chunky Apple Bread Recipe
These rugged loaves are chock-full of goodies, including tender apple chunks, nuts and chewy raisins. "They freeze well and are wonderful to have on hand for drop-in company," relates Joan Hallford of North Richland Hills, Texas.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Bake: 1 hour + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups sugar
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 medium tart apples, peeled and chopped
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cup chopped walnuts
- 1. In a bowl, combine the eggs, sugar, buttermilk, mayonnaise and vanilla. Combine the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, baking soda and salt; add to egg mixture and beat just until combined. Fold in apples, raisins and walnuts. Spoon into two greased 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans.
- 2. Bake at 375° for 1 hour or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks to cool completely. Yield: 2 loaves.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 323 calories, 12 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 164 mg sodium, 51 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC