Chuck Wagon Tortilla Stack
I made this concoction of ground beef, veggies and spices. Then I layer the meat mixture with tortillas in a deep skillet and let it simmer a little longer. It's easy to cut and spoon out of the pan. What's most satisfying, though, is everyone's reaction.—Bernice V. Janowski, Stevens Point, Wisconsin
4-6 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Cook: 40 min.
- 1 pound ground turkey or beef
- 2 to 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 can (16 ounces) baked beans
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) stewed tomatoes, undrained
- 1 can (11 ounces) whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 can (4 ounces) chopped green chilies
- 1/4 cup barbecue sauce
- 4-1/2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 4 flour tortillas (10 inches)
- 1-1/3 cups (about 5 ounces) shredded pepper jack cheese
- Shredded lettuce, chopped red onion, sour cream and/or chopped tomatoes, optional
- In a large skillet, cook beef until meat is no longer pink; drain.
- Add the garlic, beans, tomatoes, corn, chilies, barbecue sauce,
- chili powder and cumin. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer,
- uncovered, for 10-12 minutes or until liquid is reduced.
- Coat a large deep skillet with cooking spray. Place one tortilla in
- skillet; spread with 1-1/2 cups meat mixture. Sprinkle with 1/3 cup
- cheese. Repeat layers three times. Cover and cook on low for 15
- minutes or until cheese is melted and tortillas are heated through.
- Cut into wedges. Serve with toppings of your choice. Yield: 4-6