Chuck Wagon Chow Recipe
To the best of my knowledge, this recipe came from the early days in Colorado...or from the cattle trails leading into Colorado. It is a cowboy recipe and the ingredients can be varied, depending on what's available. In the old days, you couldn't always find what you needed...and sometimes it's fun to vary the ingredients. —Ed Jones, Baker City, Oregon
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2 pound beef top round steak (1/2 inch thick), cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 green pepper, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 can (16 ounces) kidney beans, juice drained and reserved
- 1 can (16 ounces) whole kernel corn, juice drained and reserved
- 1. Combine flour, salt and pepper in a large plastic bag. Place beef cubes in bag and shake to coat evenly.
- 2. In a Dutch oven or large skillet, brown beef in oil. Add onion, green pepper and garlic; cook until peppers are crisp-tender. Stir in chili powder, oregano and reserved vegetable liquid; bring to a boil. Reduce heat and simmer, covered, until meat is tender, about 45-50 minutes. Stir in beans and corn; simmer 10 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 each: 335 calories, 11g fat (2g saturated fat), 64mg cholesterol, 583mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 5g fiber), 31g protein.
Reviews for Chuck Wagon Chow
© 2017 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC