My mother-in-law gave me the recipe for these traditional Polish "angel wings." She's been gone for years now, but I still make them in memory of her. —Edward & Linda Svercauski, San Diego, California
- 3 egg yolks
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup spiced rum
- 2 tablespoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- Oil for deep-fat frying
- Additional confectioners' sugar
- In a large bowl, beat the egg yolks, egg, rum, vanilla and salt until blended. Gradually add confectioners' sugar; beat until smooth. Stir in flour until a stiff dough forms. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; knead seven times.
- Divide dough into three portions. Roll one portion into a 1/4-in.-thick rectangle, about 12 in. x 5-1/2 in. Cut in half lengthwise, then cut dough widthwise into 1-1/2-in.-wide strips. Cut a 3/4-in. lengthwise slit down the center of each strip; pull one of the ends through the slit, forming a bow. Repeat.
- In an electric skillet or deep-fat fryer, heat oil to 375°. Fry cookies, a few at a time, for 1-2 minutes on each side or until golden brown. Drain on paper towels. Dust with confectioners’ sugar. Yield: 4 dozen.
Originally published as Chrusciki Bow Tie Cookies in Taste of Home Christmas Annual Annual 2009, p117
Reviews for Chrusciki Bow Tie Cookies
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review