- until ready to use. For dough, combine warm milk, sugar, salt and
- yeast in a bowl. Let stand for 5 minutes. Add eggs, shortening and 3
- cups flour; mix until smooth. Add enough of the remaining flour to
- form a soft dough. Turn out onto a floured surface; knead until
- smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl,
- turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until
- doubled, about 1 to 1-1/2 hours. Punch dough down; divide in half.
- Roll each half into an 18-in. x 9-in. rectangle. Spread each with
- half of the filling. Starting at the long end, roll up tightly and
- seal edges. Place on a greased baking sheet, sealing ends together
- and forming ring. With a scissors, cut two-thirds of the way through
- the ring at 1-in. intervals. Carefully turn each section onto its
- side. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, 30-45 minutes. Bake
- at 350° for 25-20 minutes or until golden. Cool for 20 minutes.
- Beat confectioners' sugar, milk and vanilla until smooth. Remove
- wreaths to platter; drizzle with icing while warm. Decorate with
- candied cherries if desired. Yield: 2 loaves, 16 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 slice) equals 428 calories, 11 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 245 mg sodium, 76 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.