Christmas Wreath Bread Recipe
The wreath design for this bread gives it such a festive look. I always make extras to give to friends and to sell at holiday bazaars. Everyone looks forward to receiving them. —Agnes Ward, Strattford, Ontario
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:16 servings
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1-1/2 cups warm water (110° to 115°)
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 1/3 cup nonfat dry milk powder
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1 egg
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 tablespoon water
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in warm water. Add the butter, milk powder, sugar, egg, salt and 3 cups flour. Beat on medium speed for 3 minutes. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough (dough will be sticky).
- 2. Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease the top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- 3. Punch dough down. On a lightly floured surface, roll dough into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle. Brush with melted butter. Sprinkle with chopped almonds and cinnamon to within 1/2 in. of edges. Roll up jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- 4. Place seam side down on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With scissors, cut from outside edge to two-thirds of the way toward center of ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips slightly; twist to allow filling to show. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- 5. Bake at 375° for 20-25 minutes or until golden brown. Combine confectioners' sugar, water and extract; drizzle over warm bread. Yield: 1 wreath (16 slices).
1 slice equals 259 calories, 8 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 29 mg cholesterol, 170 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 6 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC