- 1 cup butter, softened
- 2 cups confectioners' sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3-1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mace
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- White candy coating
- Green paste food coloring
- In a large bowl, cream butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Beat in egg. Beat in the sour cream, honey and vanilla. Combine the dry ingredients; gradually add to creamed mixture and mix well. Cover and chill for 2 hours or until easy to handle.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough to 1/8-in. thickness. Cut with a floured 3-in. cookie cutters. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- Bake at 325° for 8-10 minutes or until lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt white coating; stir until smooth. Stir in food coloring; drizzle over cookies. Yield: about 8 dozen.
Reviews for Christmas Sugar Cookies
"I haven't baked these yet so I can't rate them, but had to put in one so I put in a 1 star rating. I wanted to know what is"ground mace"?? I've never heard of it before. Thanks so much!!"
"This was a nice, soft sugar cookie. However, the flavor from the mace was overpowering. I would suggest either using 1/2 of the amount called for in the recipe or substitute either cinnamon or a little nutmeg in its place. I will make these cookies again, just with modifications to fit my family's tastes"
"Excellent taste and texture."
"My family and friends loved these cookies! I will make this every Christmas."
"The perfect recipe! It works just like it says. Only change is that I rolled 1/4 the dough out at a time between sheets of plastic wrap. Nice flavor and great texture."