I like to make and share this festive delight with family and friends. The candied fruit and nuts add holiday color to a rich bread. A slice really brightens a snowy winter day. —Sharon Hasty, New London, Missouri
36 ServingsPrep: 30 min. + rising Bake: 25 min.
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
- Soak raisins and fruit in orange juice; set aside. In a large bowl,
- dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, butter, sugar, eggs, orange and
- lemon peel, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add raisin
- mixture and almonds. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about
- 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top.
- Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.