- 5-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 packages (1/4 ounce each) active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup water
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup golden raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped candied fruit
- 1/2 cup chopped walnuts
- 1/2 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon grated orange peel
- 3 tablespoons butter, softened
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- Red and green candied cherries, halved
- In a large bowl, combine 1-1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt. In a small saucepan, heat the butter, milk and water to 120°-130° Add to dry ingredients; beat just until moistened. Beat on medium speed for 2 minutes. Add eggs; beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. Stir in the raisins, candied fruit, walnuts, and lemon and orange peel. Cover and refrigerate overnight.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface. Roll into an 18-in. x 12-in. rectangle; spread butter to within 1/2 in. of edges. Combine sugar and cinnamon; sprinkle over dough. Roll up, jelly-roll style, starting with a long side; pinch seam to seal.
- Place, seam side down, on a greased baking sheet; pinch ends together to form a ring. With a scissors, cut from outside edge two-thirds of the way toward center of the ring at 1-in. intervals. Separate strips lightly; twist to allow filling to show, slightly overlapping with the previous piece. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 350° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from pan to a wire rack to cool.
- For glaze, combine the sugar, vanilla and enough milk to achieve desired consistency. Drizzle over warm stollen. Decorate with candied cherries. Yield: l loaf (18 slices).
Originally published as Christmas Stollen Ring in Best of Country Breads 2000, p77
Reviews for Christmas Stollen Ring
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review