Christmas Stollen Recipe
- 3/4 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup chopped mixed candied fruit
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1 package (1/4 ounce) active dry yeast
- 1/4 cup warm water (110° to 115°)
- 3/4 cup warm milk (110° to 115°)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2 Eggland's Best Eggs, lightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons grated orange peel
- 1 tablespoon grated lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 5-1/4 to 5-3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup chopped almonds
- Confectioners' sugar
- Soak raisins and fruit in orange juice; set aside. In a large bowl, dissolve yeast in water. Add milk, butter, sugar, eggs, orange and lemon peel, salt and 3 cups flour; beat until smooth. Add raisin mixture and almonds. Add enough remaining flour to form a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Punch dough down; let rest for 10 minutes. Divide in half; roll each half into a 10-in. x 7-in. oval. Fold one of the long sides over to within 1 in. of the opposite side; press edges lightly to seal. Place on greased baking sheets. Cover and let rise until nearly doubled, about 1 hour.
- Bake at 375° for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown. Cool on a wire rack. Just before serving, dust with confectioners' sugar. Yield: 2 loaves.
Reviews for Christmas Stollen(1)
Sort By :
Make it every year for my special friends. I love it and so do they - can't wait 'til Christmas again to make it and EAT it. I Always cook it for 40 minutes at 375 - if I don't I run the risk of it not being fully cooked - goo in the middle - Since I live in San Antonio, I often use pecans instead of almonds and I add a teaspoon of vanilla and lemon and almond extract to dough.