Christmas Special Fruitcake Recipe
I've made this quick and easy fruitcake many times during the past several years, giving it to family and friends for Christmas gifts. I also gave one to my doctor, and he claims it's the best fruitcake he's ever tasted.
- 3 cups coarsely chopped Brazil nuts or other nuts (walnuts, pecans or hazelnuts)
- 1 pound pitted dates, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup halved maraschino cherries
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3 eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1. In a large bowl, combine the nuts, dates and cherries. Combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt; add to nut mixture, stirring until nuts and fruit are well coated.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat eggs until foamy; stir in vanilla. Fold into nut mixture and mix well. Pour into a greased and parchment paper-lined 9-in. x 5-in. loaf pan.
- 3. Bake at 300° for 1-3/4 hours or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pan to a wire rack. Yield: 24 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 230 calories, 12 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 27 mg cholesterol, 71 mg sodium, 29 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 4 g protein.
© 2015 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC