Christmas Soup Recipe
In addition to serving it as a summertime meal, I put this traditional Mennonite soup on our Christmas lunch table along with an assortment of cold sandwiches and salads.
- 4 quarts plus 1/2 cup water, divided
- 3 packages (8 ounces each) mixed dried fruit (4 cups)
- 1 cup raisins
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1-1/2 cups sugar
- 6 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 package (3 ounces) cherry gelatin
- 1 can (16 ounces) pitted tart cherries, undrained
- In a Dutch oven or large soup kettle, bring 4 quarts water, dried fruit, raisins and cinnamon stick to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 30 minutes or until fruit is tender.
- Combine the sugar, cornstarch and remaining water. Gradually add to kettle until well blended. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened, stirring constantly. Remove from heat; stir in gelatin until dissolved. Add cherries. Remove cinnamon stick. Chill. Yield: 12 servings (3 quarts).
Originally published as Christmas Soup in Home-Style Soups, Salad and Sandwiches Cookbook 1996, p40
Reviews for Christmas Soup(0)
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review