Christmas Shortbread Wreaths Recipe
I adapted this recipe from plain shortbread to use for a cookie exchange. The wreaths are big sellers at bake sales. Since they're so quick and easy to prepare. I'm happy to share them at the holidays with teachers, friends and neighbors. — Donna Gendre, Stettler, Alberta
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 20 min. + cooling YIELD:12 servings
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 3/4 cup butter, softened
- Red and green sprinkles
- 1. In a bowl, combine the flour, cornstarch and sugar. Blend in butter with a wooden spoon until dough is smooth. Form into two balls. Chill for 30 minutes or until firm.
- 2. On a floured surface, roll one ball into a 9-in. circle; transfer to a greased baking sheet. Cut out center with a small round cookie cutter. If desired, scallop outer and inner edges of wreath with the edge of a cookie cutter or a knife.
- 3. Cut wreath into 12 wedges. Separate wedges, leaving 1/8 in. between. Decorate outer and inner edges with sprinkles. Repeat with remaining dough.
- 4. Bake at 300° for 18-22 minutes or until lightly browned. Cool for 5 minutes.
- 5. Recut wreath into wedges. Remove to a wire rack to cool completely. To serve, arrange as a wreath on a large flat serving plate. Yield: 2 dozen (2 wreaths).
1 serving (2 each) equals 178 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 31 mg cholesterol, 116 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 1 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC