Christmas Sandwich Cookies Recipe
"My mother-in-law gave me the recipe for these lovely melt-in-your-mouth cookies," remarks Elizabeth Klager of St. Catharines, Ontario. "They're a Christmas tradition at our house."
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. Bake: 15 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 1 cup butter, softened
- 1/2 cup confectioners' sugar
- 2 teaspoon milk
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup cornstarch
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 5 tablespoons raspberry jam
- 1/4 cup butter, softened
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Green food coloring
- Quartered red candied cherries and star-shaped sprinkles
- 1. In a large bowl, cream butter and confectioners' sugar until light and fluffy. Add milk. Combine the flour, cornstarch and salt; add to the creamed mixture, beating just until dough forms a ball.
- 2. On a lightly floured surface, knead 20 times. Roll out 3/8-in. thickness. Cut with a 2-in. round cookie cutter. Place 1 in. apart on ungreased baking sheets.
- 3. Bake at 350° for 12-13 minutes or until edges are lightly browned. Remove to wire racks to cool. Spread jam over the bottom of half of the cookies; top with remaining cookies.
- 4. In a large bowl, beat the butter, confectioners' sugar, vanilla and food coloring until smooth. Place mixture in a heavy-duty resealable plastic bag; cut a small hole in a corner of bag. Pipe frosting in tree shapes on cookies. Garnish with candied cherries and sprinkles. Yield: 2 dozen.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC